Federal law allows Agencies to award sole source contracts to the SBA on behalf of an eligible 8(a) firm of their choice. Contracts can be awarded in limits up to $6.5 million for manufacturing NAICS codes and $4.0 million for all other contracts.
8(a) Benefits & Advantages:
- Streamlined acquisitions process
- Supports mission readiness…alleviates 60-90 days acquisition time
- Qualified contractor of choice
- Obtainment of 8(a) small business goals
- Expedited negotiations
How to award a streamlined 8(a) Sole Source Contract:
- The Government Program Manager (PM) develops a Statement of Work and secures funding.
- Having chosen Precision to perform the work, the PM submits a Procurement Request to his/her agency Contracting Officer (CO).
- The CO sends an Offer Letter (including agency contact person’s name, telephone, e-mail address and FAX) and a Statement of Work (SOW) via email to: email@example.com requesting permission to conduct sole source negotiations with Precision . (Precision will have already alerted the Business Opportunity Specialist to expect the package in order to expedite the process.)
- The SBA confirms eligibility of Precision and authorizes the negotiations – usually within 48 hours.
- The CO sends Precision a Statement of Work and a Request for Proposal (RFP) or Request for Quotation (RFQ).
- Precision submits a proposal to the Government Program Manager and CO for evaluation.
- The CO negotiates with Precision. Simplified Acquisition efforts do not require a technical proposal; the CO sends RFP to Precision requesting cost proposal; upon receipt, CO negotiates cost and terms with Precision .If the estimate exceeds the Simplified Acquisition Threshold, the CO sends RFP to Precision requesting technical and cost proposals; upon receipt, CO negotiates cost and terms with Precision.
- Upon completion of negotiations, CO prepares a contract award document and sends to Precision for signature.
- Upon receipt of the fully executed contract from the CO, the contract period of performance begins at the stated date in the contract.
This entire acquisition process should be two weeks or less in duration.
8(a) Sole Source Process Overview
How does an agency directly award Precision an 8(a) sole source contract?
Offers letter can be sent Electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.orgSBA Information for Questions Jennifer KrottingerUS Small Business Administration 26 Federal Plaza, Suite 3100NY, NY 10278212-264-9487